Prince Claus Seed Awards
When : 2021
Where : NA
Application Deadline : May 11 2021
Application Fee : NA
Stipend : Award of 5000 Euros
Prince Claus Seed Awards Open Call For Applications
Building on 25 years of experience supporting, honouring and connecting artists and cultural practitioners in the fields of culture and development, the Prince Claus Fund is excited to issue an open call for the Prince Claus Seed Awards.
The Prince Claus Fund will annually recognize 100 emerging artists and cultural practitioners within the first five years of their careers. With the Prince Claus Seed Awards we aim to contribute to flourishing arts scenes globally, where emerging artists can develop their practice on their own terms.
For the Prince Claus Seed Awards, we are looking for emerging artists and cultural practitioners whose innovative work addresses pressing social and/or political issues within their own context. Recipients are free to invest the Award of €5.000 in the development of their artistic practice. Through the Prince Claus Seed Awards we will be supporting the career development, creativity and experimentation of emerging artists and cultural practitioners around the globe.
The Prince Claus Fund will give 100 Awards to emerging artists and cultural practitioners, who will receive €5.000 to develop their cultural practice.
The Prince Claus Seed Awards are aimed at emerging artists and cultural practitioners who:
- Are on average in the initial 1 - 5 years of their professional career;
- Have an innovative and interesting artistic practice that addresses pressing social/political issues important within their local context;
- Have received little to no recognition/support for their artistic/cultural practices, and are not yet recognised internationally.
With this open call for the Prince Claus Seed Awards we would like to invite emerging artists and cultural practitioners who live and work in our eligible countries in Africa, Asia, Latin America, the Caribbean and Eastern Europe to apply for this award. Applicants are required to fill in an online application form, submit samples of their work, one reference letter and a pitch answering the question: ‘what drives you as an artist?’.
The deadline for the submission is May 11, 2021, at 23:59h Amsterdam Time.
Before applying make sure you read:
You have to fill in your submission on our Prince Claus Awards Platform. Only completed submissions via our Prince Claus Awards Platform will be considered.
Support is only given to individuals living and working in our eligible countries. Individuals applying for the call must be a citizen of one of these countries.
The Prince Claus Seed Awards will give each Award recipient €5.000 to invest in the development of their artistic practice/career. Activities and expenses directly aimed at the further development of artistic practices could, for example, include (but are not limited to):
- Participation in residency programmes, festivals, workshops, etc.;
- Development of a personal project;
- Investment in ongoing work.
How to Apply
Contents of the application
Your application should contain:
- A completed application form, including personal details of the applicant;
- A pitch that answers the question what drives you as an artist/author/cultural practitioner? (This can be submitted in any format: video, text, audio, etc. and should be a max. of 5 minutes or 2 pages);
- A reference letter from a person or organisation that knows your work and/or has worked with you in the past. (should be signed and contain the contact details of the referee);
- Supporting materials related to your work. This could include, but is not limited to: samples of your artistic/cultural work (videos, images, texts, portfolio, CV), reviews and interviews.
*Please note that at this stage we only accept applications in the English language (feel free to use translation software if needed).
Submitting your Application
Every year the Prince Claus Fund announces on its website the open call for the Prince Claus Seed Awards with the provisions and timeline under which a submission can be made. To apply you need to:
- Create an account on the Prince Claus Awards Platform and start a new submission for the Prince Claus Seed Awards;
- Fill in all required fields and attachments. You can save the application and complete it later up until the deadline. If you have any questions along the way, please refer to our FAQ or e-mail us at email@example.com
- The deadline for applications is May 11, 2021 at 23:59h Amsterdam Time. We know that many people have intermittent access to the internet, or unstable connections. Please keep this in mind when planning your submission. We encourage you not to wait until the last minute with submitting as our online system will close automatically on the deadline and we cannot accept any applications after that point;
- All applicants will receive an email confirmation once their submission has been successfully sent through the Prince Claus Awards Platform.
Assessment & Decision
- Cultural experts from a variety of backgrounds and fields of expertise are commissioned by the Prince Claus Fund to assess the applications and advise us on the selection of the 100 Prince Claus Seed Awards recipients;
- We will be considering the following criteria when assessing your submission:
- Originality: innovative, and artistically interesting ideas;
- Transformative: work that engages with pressing social/political issues;
- Context-specific: work and ideas that are relevant for the local context;
- Inclusion: ideas and work that aim at more inclusive societies, connecting people in ways that resist marginalisation, oppression and division;
- Impactful: the Prince Claus Seed Award must benefit the professional development, engagement and impact of the individual’s artistic practice;
- Potential to Amplify: Although the individual has received little to no funding/support/recognition so far, the award will likely give a significant boost to their career.
- Applicants are informed of the final selection within 12 weeks after the open call deadline;
- Successful applicants will be requested to submit extra materials related to their work for the purpose of the public announcement;
- Prince Claus Seed Award recipients will be publicly announced on October 25, 2021.
The Prince Claus Fund will draft a contract to be signed by the successful award recipients. The Prince Claus Seed Awards recipient will receive the €5.000 after the contract has been signed.
If you have any further questions, please refer to our FAQ or e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org